Each of the individual forums here on NexusForum has a few rules of its own. There are also global rules that apply to all postings and all users in all forums and subforums. Here they are:
- There are a variety of forums here, each with its own focus and purpose. You should be familiar with all the forums, and start each new topic - or continue drifted ones - in its correct place. Moderators may move topics to a more suitable location at any time.
- It is preferred that discussion remain at a high and focused level. You may define those terms to suit yourself.
- Some gentle topic drift in any forum is permissible, but chat outside the general charter of this site should be taken to one of the off-topic forums. That's what they're there for!
- When a topic evolves past the initial discussion, consider starting a new topic focused on the new subject rather than tacking onto one thread that wanders hither and yon for pages.
- While civility is a virtue and will be demanded of participants here, civility and politeness do not mean that every opinion is equal and that every idea is sacrosanct. By posting here, you are exposing your thoughts to all members of the Heinlein community, who are individually free to agree, disagree, contradict you and opine contrarily but civilly. If you will be offended because someone intelligently disagrees with you, you'd best not post here.
- Politeness is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. Wit is a virtue. Humor is a virtue. The vices probably do not need to be listed.
- Ahem. One vice, endemic in the online Heinlein world of the past, is that of "faux socializing." For every user that is tickled by exchanging virtual drinks, backrubs, brownie points etc. there is another - or two - that loathes the practice to the point of abandoning the venue. Please - courtesy is welcome but let's keep it real with respect to what we're all doing here. (This prohibition is specifically intended for those who don't seem to know where to draw the line on this sort of behavior. There is no proscription against courtesy and mild social exchanges or banter, and never has been. What many users - and thus the administration here - find objectionable is the creation and perpetuation of threads consisting of nothing but that content, or which devolve into nothing but such side-fribble. If being politely requested to keep the irrelevant content down - in line with the stated purpose of the forum in the prior post - offends you, this is probably not the forum you're looking for.)