http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/

Release Day
http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=765
Page 3 of 3

Author:  BillPatterson [ Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

RobWright wrote:
I was in the Barnes & Noble in Las Cruces NM today. Saw two copies in the Science Fiction section and one copy on the New Biography shelves.

Rob

Bravo!

You certainly do get around New Mexico. I was a "neighbor" a couple of years ago, living in Carrizozo.

Author:  RobWright [ Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

Considering we have to drive somewhere for just about everything, you get use to it ;)

I was in Las Cruces taking the History content test to add the History endorsement to my Secondary Ed: Language Arts license.

I was in Albuquerque on Monday to see William Gibson do a reading/signing for his latest book at the Main Branch of the city library. I did see the biography listed as coming soon on a posted list while waiting to gain entrance, though it was two weeks out of date.

Carrizozo isn't too bad of a place, you can be in the mountains in short order and it is a cross roads for getting to several different regions and areas of interest within the state.

Rob

Author:  BillPatterson [ Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

RobWright wrote:
Considering we have to drive somewhere for just about everything, you get use to it ;)

I was in Las Cruces taking the History content test to add the History endorsement to my Secondary Ed: Language Arts license.

I was in Albuquerque on Monday to see William Gibson do a reading/signing for his latest book at the Main Branch of the city library. I did see the biography listed as coming soon on a posted list while waiting to gain entrance, though it was two weeks out of date.

Carrizozo isn't too bad of a place, you can be in the mountains in short order and it is a cross roads for getting to several different regions and areas of interest within the state.

Rob

Not too bad; it has no local economy but it does have a thriving social life -- and geographically fascinating, in the throat of the second rift valley in the world. Staying with friends who had lived in Capitola, further up the mountains, for years before finding a 2000 sq.ft. adobe in Carrizozo

Author:  BillMullins [ Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

The local Barnes & Noble finally got a copy. It was in the New SF section, not biography. (The biography section has held copies of bios of Katherine Heigl and Larry Harmon (creator of Bozo the Clown) for weeks and weeks).

Author:  jeepojiii [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

OK, two months and 17 days after release (hey, I explained how I've been out of the Heinlein loop for a while - and I just got here), I ventured into the local Books-A-Million (formerly Old Town Alexandria's Crown Books) seeking The Book. No copies in the store, but I checked and BAM has it from their online store. I don't do OL any more - no CC - so I used the "order for delivery to the store" option. Should have it next Weds, Nov 10th, just in time for it to be my USMC 235th birthday gift to myself.

While checking it out online, I discover a veeerrrrrryyyyyyy interesting phenomenon. On The Book's page [http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9780765319609?id=4887206146536] they note:

"ALSO AVAILABLE
USED BOOK PARTNERS offer 17 copies"

I had to check this out; used copies on the market only 2-1/2 months after release????

Yes. BAM is selling it at "Online Price $22.98, Club Price $20.68"

The 17 partner copies are at Online Prices from $27.20 - $56.92 or Club Prices from $24.48 to $51.23.

Sigh. Sorta no-brainer if you're buying from BAM.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

RobWright wrote:
Carrizozo isn't too bad of a place, you can be in the mountains in short order and it is a cross roads for getting to several different regions and areas of interest within the state.
Rob

Well, yes, if "interest" can be said to be an elastic term. Carrizozo sits mostly on the northeast quadrant of two freeways and its main commercial reason for existence nowadays is the gas stations on all four corners. One of them (395?) goes to Capitan and Ruiodoso; the other (79?) goes to Alamogordo.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

jeepojiii wrote:
OK, two months and 17 days after release (hey, I explained how I've been out of the Heinlein loop for a while - and I just got here), I ventured into the local Books-A-Million (formerly Old Town Alexandria's Crown Books) seeking The Book. No copies in the store, but I checked and BAM has it from their online store. I don't do OL any more - no CC - so I used the "order for delivery to the store" option. Should have it next Weds, Nov 10th, just in time for it to be my USMC 235th birthday gift to myself.

While checking it out online, I discover a veeerrrrrryyyyyyy interesting phenomenon. On The Book's page [http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9780765319609?id=4887206146536] they note:

"ALSO AVAILABLE
USED BOOK PARTNERS offer 17 copies"

I had to check this out; used copies on the market only 2-1/2 months after release????

Yes. BAM is selling it at "Online Price $22.98, Club Price $20.68"

The 17 partner copies are at Online Prices from $27.20 - $56.92 or Club Prices from $24.48 to $51.23.

Sigh. Sorta no-brainer if you're buying from BAM.

Yeeeessss - but amazon.com has it for $19.95. I find it would be next to impossible to do anything these days - especially travel - without a credit card. For a friend in a situation similar to yours I recommended buying a prepaid Visa or MasterCard-- absolutely controllable and good as a creditcard for things like this.

Author:  jeepojiii [ Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

BillPatterson wrote:
Yeeeessss - but amazon.com has it for $19.95. I find it would be next to impossible to do anything these days - especially travel - without a credit card. For a friend in a situation similar to yours I recommended buying a prepaid Visa or MasterCard-- absolutely controllable and good as a creditcard for things like this.


My travelling days ended when I left the USMC in 1982, save 1 wedding in the '80s, 2 funerals in the '90s, and Balticon 35 and PhilMilCon in 2001. Semi-retired on SS + PT work fixed income now, the difference between local store prices and online prices is not really great enough to bother with even a prepaid CC - for my needs/desires.

[Unless/until y'all set up an HC-style RL get-together somewhere along the line. Then I will reconsider. ;) {Just make it somewhere reachable by Amtrak. I have no intention of subjecting myself to the tender mercies of the airport Gestapo. :roll: }]

Hell, I haven't owned a car since I moved to Alexandria in '82 (subway/bus service is fine in the DC area), and I last used a rental car in the early '90s, so I gave up my drivers license for a VA DMV photo ID card. I'm just a boring, old codger, homebody nowadays. :oops:

Author:  Guest [ Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Release Day

I was just in DC and in a position to use the DC Metro (at least one way, into DC from Arlington), but found the Metro useless for practical commuting. Every time I went into it one or another of the critical lines I would use was down for an indefinite period. So I would have to go up and out of the station and hail a taxi to make my next appointment.

After the third time this happened, I just gave up.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/