View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio
georule wrote:
JamesGifford wrote:
RobertJames wrote:
Bill, I would strongly urge you to include errata for the first volume in the second volume.

I hereby bet one virtual wooden nickel that Tor refuses to include it. The reasons are multiple, mysterious and even nefarious.

No bet.

But I might risk one wooden virtual nickel that he could get them to allow a one or two sentence reference saying such a list was prepared and can by downloaded in .pdf form at http://www.whpattersonjr.com.

That's probably the most efficient way to go at it. Of course, the poor man will still have to distill this thread into such a document --but such are the wages of sin. . . (or something like that).

If he includes a release in the document blessing it be spread far and wide, so long as unedited by unconsecrated hands, it should attain a life as long as googles.

Sound idea and I'll suggest it to David Hartwell.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:48 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Well, errata are a moving target, best published on the web where you can continually update it. Don't expect at any point in time that you've found every bug. So a note to the effect of "this book's web site, with value-added material such as errata, fora, data, desiderata, and other pabla is at ---"

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
...desiderata...

That would be:

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

...right?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:39 pm
Heinlein Nexus

I am not so certain of the future of computer maintenance as I am of plumbing. I have never met a plumber who is not booked solid through 2014. I called mine to fix a leak in my water filter and he allowed as how he was swamped and might make it one evening this week. He lives a couple of minutes away.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Another error, this one by e-mail from William S. Cornell:

In a message dated 8/25/2010 9:35:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, williamcornell@gmail.com writes:
Dear Mr. Patterson:

I started reading your Heinlein biography today (it's past midnight,
so yesterday), and the third chapter raised a question. On page 40,
near the bottom, you mention that in August 1923 Heinlein was about to
start his junior year at Central High. Then, on page 43, Heinlein
graduates from high school in June 1924. Am I to understand from this
that Heinlein skipped his senior year of high school? Thanks for any
clarification that you can give.

No, I think you've caught another error (I've got a thread for errors and omissions in the biography on the Heinlein Nexus). He went to Central 1920-1924, so graduated as a senior. That should have been "senior year."

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Reading through the chronology this morning, I came across another data point in an "errata" or "variorum" discussion that somehow hasn't made it into this thread yet.

There are two (now three) versions of when Heinlein joined LASFS. In a 2000 interview with Dr. James, Forrest J. Ackerman indicated that he met Heinlein "a few weeks" before the August 1939 issue of ASF came out -- i.e., July 1939.

In a 10/25/73 letter congratulating LASFS on its new clubhouse, he said "I joined December 1938 or possibly January 1939, as it was at the meeting of the new Hollywood chapter at which 4SJ announced that a new magazine, Unknown Worlds, would be on the stands in February 1939 "

In an 11/4/85 letter Virginia Heinlein to Leon Stover she relays Heinlein telling him that he joined LASFS in the spring of 1939, shortly after he began writing -- which we usually assume means after April 1939 because of "Life-Line," but might be earlier, referring instead to "For Us, The Living," which was circulating to publishers in the spring of 1939.

In various other places he gives 1939 as the year.

This material should probably be worked into the relevant footnote.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am
Heinlein Biographer

Ed Wysocki again:

On page 348, you say “mustered in, in June 1925, with 626 members.”

I think that number is seriously in error. The number mustered in should be close to number of graduates + number of non-graduates.

Unfortunately the only plebe class size figure I can find is for the class of 1927, which my source gives as 885.

The Register of Alumni says that for class of 1927, it was 579 graduates and 250 non-graduates, for a total of 829.

For the class of 1929, it says 240 + 130 = 370.

There is a mismatch in both cases, but I think you will agree that 829 is closer to 885 than 370 is to 626.

I think the 626 figure must be a typo, but it's going to take some research to figure out just what it should be. The 370 figure does "sound" right to me.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:48 am

The "Register of the commissioned and warrant officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. January 1, 1926" lists 391 members of the "Fourth Class" (freshmen/plebes). The vol from 1/1/1927 lists 322 members. The vol from 1/1/1928 lists 258 members. The vol from 1/1/1929 lists 246 members.

A Washington Post article from 9/21/1925 about a speech from Sec of Navy Curtis Wilbur to the incoming plebes said the incoming class had a roster of 300.

A NYTimes article from 6/7/1929 about the class's graduation said that 239 received diplomas.

P. 64 of Learning Curve shows the class starting at 478 and dropping to 240 by graduation.

Pick your number.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:02 am
Page 488: "(Heinlein later combined qualities of his aunt Bam and his mother's sister, Anna, as the basis for Hazel Stone of The Rolling Stones.)"

Shouldn't that be great-aunt Bam? Since she was his mother's aunt, the one for whom she was named?

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:35 am
Heinlein Biographer

cabridges wrote:
Page 488: "(Heinlein later combined qualities of his aunt Bam and his mother's sister, Anna, as the basis for Hazel Stone of The Rolling Stones.)"

Shouldn't that be great-aunt Bam? Since she was his mother's aunt, the one for whom she was named?

Yes you're right. In this case I was following my sources too closely, as Heinlein referred to her as "Aunt Bam."

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next