http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/

Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio
http://www.heinleinsociety.org/thsnexus/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=756
Page 4 of 13

Author:  Jonquil [ Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

BillPatterson wrote:
Jonquil wrote:
The source obviously confused the publication with the commercial offering. Incidentally, the language of the contemporaneous medical papers I read was "internal antiseptic." Obviously an analogical usage.


Thank you! Sorry to have misquoted you.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

Jonquil wrote:
BillPatterson wrote:
Jonquil wrote:
The source obviously confused the publication with the commercial offering. Incidentally, the language of the contemporaneous medical papers I read was "internal antiseptic." Obviously an analogical usage.


Thank you! Sorry to have misquoted you.

Not a problem. Just a moderator's tic, of no real importance.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

Ed Wysocki (08/23/10):

Page 347:

Three days later, Mussolini was torn to pieces by a mob in Rome and his broken body hung from a lamppost.

= = = = =

Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci were actually shot in the small town of Mezzegra, which is on the shore of Lake Como, up near Switzerland. Nowhere near Rome. Their bodies were then strung up in Milan.

I would suggest looking it up on wikipedia

Me again: I told Ed Wikipedia is probably where I got it in the first place! This would have been written, probably in 2003 or early 2004. I don't doubt Ed's facts, but I'm going to try to develop a different online source for this documentation.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

JackKelly wrote:
You are right. Sometimes I am too polite. I can only imagine your reaction. Her comments addressed events that were peripheral "context" items and not central to the biography at all. And as you and others pointed out, many of the "errors" she cited were in fact not errors at all (e.g. "Boy King"). The most egregious aspect was the title of her post, which may lead some potential readers to avoid the book. And, of course, she provided a convenient platform for the usual cast of Heinlein haters and blowhards to pile on.

What you said.

There is a very curious phenomenon about blog comments same as usenet, where something like "feeding frenzy" starts up and people who othewise have some degree of common sense suddenly abandon it. That started to happen here.

Author:  BillMullins [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

BillPatterson wrote:
I don't doubt Ed's facts, but I'm going to try to develop a different online source for this documentation.


Check your inbox for "Last Days of Mussolini", NY Times Apr 24, 1955.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

BillMullins wrote:
BillPatterson wrote:
I don't doubt Ed's facts, but I'm going to try to develop a different online source for this documentation.


Check your inbox for "Last Days of Mussolini", NY Times Apr 24, 1955.

Thank you very much -- exactly what I needed.

This was a newspaper account written by Milton Bracker for The NY Times, 4/24/1955, which gives a nearly moment-by-moment account of BM's last few days. Apparently Mussolini and his mistress Claretta Petacci were taken to an address in Giulino di Messegra where they were shot/executed on Saturday 4/28/45 at 4:10 p.m. with a submachine gun, along with fifteen other fascists. That night day the bodies were trucked to Milan, where Mussolini was autopsied. Mussolini's body was dumped in the Milan Piazzale Loreto, at the end of Corso Buenos Aires, shortly before 4 am. Partisan guards tried to keep the crowds away from the bodies, but were not ultimately successful. After random abuse from the crowd, the bodies were hanged by the heels "from the girder of an unfinished gas station"

Author:  MarieGuthrie [ Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

On page 23, you mention the references to the "'tramp" in the end sequences of "Gulf" and Starship Troopers. The tramp is also explicitly worked into "Water is for Washing."

I am thoroughly impressed! Here's to vol. 2!

Author:  BillPatterson [ Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

MarieGuthrie wrote:
On page 23, you mention the references to the "'tramp" in the end sequences of "Gulf" and Starship Troopers. The tramp is also explicitly worked into "Water is for Washing."

I am thoroughly impressed! Here's to vol. 2!

Thanks, and good point.

Author:  RobertJames [ Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

Bill, I would strongly urge you to include errata for the first volume in the second volume, to address these concerns. I would also suggest a thorough review of the secondary contextual references, since this seems to be where the boo-boos are.

I will happily help, as always.

Author:  BillPatterson [ Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Errors and Omissions, Volume 1 of the Bio

RobertJames wrote:
Bill, I would strongly urge you to include errata for the first volume in the second volume, to address these concerns. I would also suggest a thorough review of the secondary contextual references, since this seems to be where the boo-boos are.

I will happily help, as always.

Good idea. Let's discuss further.

Page 4 of 13 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/