View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post Re: Avatar
Here's an article from Digg that claims Dolby 3D is as good or slightly better than Real D. If XpanD is not an option where you live (it is brand new), then I think the most important thing is to ask a manager ahead of time which screen is the largest in the theater and which projector and sound system is the newest.
http://3dvision-blog.com/what-to-choose ... 3d-movies/

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:37 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Just finished watching the special edition of The Abyss, and very satisfying it was too. Bordering on all time great, I would say.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

I know few movies in which the story arcs keep rolling and getting bigger for such a long time - I don't think anyone sitting down to watch the film in ignorance could predict any of the major plot points before they unfolded.

It owes a lot to Orson Scott Card - Cameron hired him to write the novelization and the massive backstory he wrote for all the characters, especially Bud and Lindsay, filtered back into subtle interactions and fill in the film.

It also has much of the greatest, most believable dialogue in any film. For example, I spent some time working with a firm that provided materials to oil drillers. Bud's dialogue is spot-on down to the last nuance even though most terms and phrases will go right past most of the audience. (F'rex, Bud says, "He don't know his butt from a rat hole." Funny in any context... but a rathole is a specific part of the oil drilling setup. There's also a mousehole.)

Abyss has been in my top ten movies since I first saw it.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am
Heinlein Nexus

Just got around to seeing Avatar (with a 3-month old, even this took a stretch). Um, like, wow. My initial impression that I opened the thread with couldn't have been more wrong. This is a landmark effects movie and an instant classic with the emotional appeal of Titanic.

Story-wise, I'd class it as a cross between Star Wars and Dances with Wolves. The message is blatant, but it's a good one to harp on in an age when Fox is the most-watched news channel (that still depresses me). It's the American Indian and the rainforest natives meeting Apocalypse Now. Works for me.

Every movie from now on is going to be released in 3-D: it's a perfect antidote to piracy. But Avatar should be remembered as the one that put the technology on the map. (To forestall nitpicking: I know it wasn't the first. That's not what I'm talking about.)

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

JJGarsch wrote:
Scalzi, on his blog, indicated in November that he believes Cameron's script does indeed predate Old Man's War (see whatever.scalzi.com/?s=cameron), but then he hasn't seen the movie yet.

Cameron has supposedly been working on Avatar since 1997. Besides, there's a big difference between being relocated from an old human body into a blue superhuman body and remotely controlling a large blue alien body from elsewhere.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

JamesGifford wrote:
AlexHergensheimer wrote:
And I just want a hot blue catwoman to be my girl.

Nah... they pee on your stuff when you get them irritated. And wassamatta, the black leather look in catwomen doesn't do it for you any more?
:mrgreen:

Handy guide:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4