View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Heinlein Nexus

Post Avatar
Based solely on viewing a tiny preview clip, (a) the quality of the animation in this movie is breathtaking; (b) I feel no urge to see it because it looks like every fantasy story that I despise ("And then Dweezil summoned the elders of the Fribble clan to perform the Schwagga-song of quickening, to teach the sprite-lings the ancient art of <snore>")

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Post Re: Avatar
As for (a), you haven't even seen it in 3D.

As for (b)... I don't do elfy-welfy either and this looks e-w to the nth.

The buzz on the hardcore movie boards I frequent is that it looks like either Dark Crystal or Ferngully reimagined, nothing anyone would pay to see much less remake.

OTOH, I'll cut Cameron enough slack to go see it opening weekend. The man has turned out one or two truly legendary stories on celluloid and I trust that this one, his dearest baby and fifteen years in development, holds up. I'm hoping a little more for... Last (of the Mohicans) in Space.

If not, it will be 9 in 3D... fabulous visuals, story-what-story?

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Without peering too closely at it yet, I'm hoping for a mix of Alan Dean Foster's Midworld and John Scalzi's Old Man's War.

I've heard it's originally a comic book, though, so I'm tempering my expectations. The commercials do look lovely, though.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:43 am
PITA Bred

Uh, no, it's an original story by James Cameron (as was Terminator). It has no formal predecessors of any kind.

It may be the only sci-fi-ish thing in years that didn't start as a graphic novel or comix, though. :)

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:08 pm
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
Uh, no, it's an original story by James Cameron (as was Terminator). It has no formal predecessors of any kind.

It may be the only sci-fi-ish thing in years that didn't start as a graphic novel or comix, though. :)

I'd still rather see "Call Me Joe"

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:30 am
Centennial Attendee

I was invited as a member of my local Cinema Club to an extended 3-D preview a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty excited about it. Consider the source, though; there isn't any aspect of the film that represents anything I explicitly try to avoid in movies, as is true for some of you. Unfortunately, its release corresponds to my departure on a 2-week Christmas vacation out of range of the multiplexes, so I don't expect to be able to see it until after the first of the year. But as soon as I get back, I plan to see it at the big *real* IMAX theater in the Metreon in San Francisco.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:17 am
Profile YIM WWW

I am hoping to see it this week sometime - even my wife (who is normally bored silly by sci-fi - she is the mother of my children, so I have to keep her around! lol) wants to see it!

I want to do the 3d thing as I have never seen a 3d film, and this one is supposed to be a doozy!

If no one else posts a review I will do so when I can.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 am
Heinlein Nexus

I shudder at the last movie I heard Cameron making after he held onto the story for years....The Abyss.

I'm afraid Cameron may be on that track....but I'll go see the eye candy where it belongs, up on the big screen.

Worth a shot.

But then, I thought the same about the last three Star Wars films...shudder....

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:22 am
Heinlein Biographer

RobertJames wrote:
I shudder at the last movie I heard Cameron making after he held onto the story for years....The Abyss.

I'm afraid Cameron may be on that track....but I'll go see the eye candy where it belongs, up on the big screen.

Worth a shot.

But then, I thought the same about the last three Star Wars films...shudder....

I'm a little surprised at your reaction to The Abyss -- I think it's one of the all-time great SF films. And what else could it be with lines like: "I've got an idea: I drown and you tow me to safety."?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 pm
Heinlein Nexus

I wouldn't peg it at an all-time great, but it was a decent little flick.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next