View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Heinlein Nexus

Post V
Caught the second episode.

This reimagining fetish is going too far. Ever since BSG legitimized the term, a host of re-imitators have dragged it back into the mud. (Y'all already know what I think of Star Trek...)

The original BSG was a cheesy Star Wars ripoff. Now along comes a ripoff of a cheesy 80's serial where they also alter the premise so that the enemy looks just like us and is hidden among us like so many sleeper cells. The original was ham-fisted and beat its message home with a sledgehammer adorned with a Play Skool logo, but it worked in a crudely lovable way, especially if you were young and naive enough.

This version promises to update it for today's sophisticated audience, and tone down the hairstyles. But after one viewing, I won't be returning. I didn't much care what was going on and I didn't much care about the characters. It passed by my eyeballs like graffiti on the side of a subway train. Maybe it was too sophisticated for moi; more likely it was just too... <snore>

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Post Re: V
As the ratings are somewhere south of "never hoid uvvit" you probably won't be bothered again by the apparitions.

I never much cared for the first version, though, so...

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Post Re: V
As it has failed in USA that probably means we will get it over here pretty soon! Prime example - The Bionic Woman (Programmers thought that because it starred a british soap actress that it would be a hit here - they got that one wrong!)

I loved the original - at the time at least! I think I might give it a miss!

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]