View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Juggler of Worlds 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Juggler of Worlds
I think this book has been out for a year, and the next book in the series is about to come out. This book follows Fleet of Worlds, the first book Niven and Lerner did together.

Juggler wraps up a lot of the Known Space short stories into a coherent telling from a slightly different viewpoint and attaches it to the tame humans of Fleet of Worlds. Sigmund Ausfaller is the primary character here -- the ARM's tame paranoid (one of them).

I found it consistently interesting, but there's just some spark missing from the Lerner collaborations.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 am

Post Re: Juggler of Worlds
Thanks for the heads up. I also appreciate the "filling in" of the cracks that these stories provide, but agree that they do seem to be much more flat in terms of emotion. I'll pick up a copy for my Kindle.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am
Heinlein Biographer

Airgetlam wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I also appreciate the "filling in" of the cracks that these stories provide, but agree that they do seem to be much more flat in terms of emotion. I'll pick up a copy for my Kindle.

One of the things that seems to be a concern of this book in particular is making a tapestry that shows how all these famous stories -- Neutron Star, TheSoft Weapon, Fleet of Worlds (perhaps not so famous) relate together.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:20 am

Interesting. I'm not really as interested in a full tapestry, though...I don't mind some gaps. Like Heinlein's "Future History" stories, as long as they fit in to the greater whole (for the most part, I don't mind minor discrepancies for the sake of a good tale), I'm OK with it. Of course, the flip side is for each story that is written, there is a commensurate reduction of my own mental image of how things happen. ;)

Sometimes a little mystery keeps the interest up.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm
Centennial Attendee

BillPatterson wrote:
One of the things that seems to be a concern of this book in particular is making a tapestry that shows how all these famous stories -- Neutron Star, TheSoft Weapon, Fleet of Worlds (perhaps not so famous) relate together.

Uh-oh. This got Asimov and (in my opinion) Heinlein into trouble.

At least the Niven stories you mention were written with a common background in mind. Not like mashing positronic robots and Foundationers together. Perhaps that will prevent a mess.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

beamjockey wrote:
BillPatterson wrote:

Uh-oh. This got Asimov and (in my opinion) Heinlein into trouble.

At least the Niven stories you mention were written with a common background in mind. Not like mashing positronic robots and Foundationers together. Perhaps that will prevent a mess.

Well, it's certainly not THAT kind of a mess. Actually, I found all the reference points useful for figuring out where in the sequence all this was taking place -- and it made the tame humans story Lerner developed cohere with the rest of Known Space, which it didn't, very well, in Fleet of Worlds.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]