View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The Last Theorem 
Heinlein Nexus

Post The Last Theorem
Not quite done reading it, but I have to say, I've enjoyed it more so far than anything either Pohl or Clarke has written in years. Irreverent, detailed, character-driven, as well as slamming across some big ideas.

Apparently, Clarke only wrote 40 pages or so, then passed that and his notes on to Pohl.

I'm hoping the end pays off for the setup :)

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:05 am
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: The Last Theorem
Sadly, it doesn't -- not really. There are glimmers of a decent ending, and the three afterwords are somewhat amusing and informative. Still, compared to Clarke's dreadful work of much of the last thirty years, and Pohl's slowdown, it was a decent way to end at least one career.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:53 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: The Last Theorem
RobertJames wrote:
Sadly, it doesn't -- not really. There are glimmers of a decent ending, and the three afterwords are somewhat amusing and informative. Still, compared to Clarke's dreadful work of much of the last thirty years, and Pohl's slowdown, it was a decent way to end at least one career.

I finished it on the 27th. Basically it felt like a Clarke book to me, with bits of Pohl sticking out here and there. It seemed to read very nicely for about the first half and then, like an archetypal late Clarke book, stopped being story and started being a sketch for a story. Write the damed outline! Don't leave it as an outline! The mathematician is a solid character, though our view of his internal life is a little sketchy; his wife is less a character; his daughter is a cardboard cutout. A writer could take the duplicating episode itself and make a full novel of it.

Moving on to Juggler of Worlds

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]