View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Sound on the Page: Style and Voice in Writing 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: The Sound on the Page: Style and Voice in Writing
RobertJames wrote:
By the way, different McAleers -- Neil McAleer wrote the Clarke bio.

Ah. Faulty wetware

I once tried to construct a biography of Nero Wolfe from the books. Fun but there's a lot of inconsistency.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 am
PITA Bred

BillPatterson wrote:
I once tried to construct a biography of Nero Wolfe from the books. Fun but there's a lot of inconsistency.

Never stopped Holmesians.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 am
Heinlein Nexus

Apparently, neither Jim nor Bill are as obsessive as I am (it's unclear whether Jim knows the following or not). Nero Wolfe has had a biography written about him, by the same fellow who wrote "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street". "Nero Wolfe of 35th Street" by Baring-Gould is not as compelling as the Holmes bio, but then, the author died right after finishing what is evidently a first draft.

Philip Jose Farmer continued this trend of biographies of fictional characters with his bios on Tarzan and Doc Savage; fascinating books, although the obsession with large penises was startling to a 12 year old reader....

Btw, the paperbacks alone are worth more than 50$ apiece, last time I checked. Farmer's more esoteric stuff was so much a part of the sixties sexual permissiveness...ever read "Blown"?

Robert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 am
PITA Bred

RobertJames wrote:
Nero Wolfe has had a biography written about him, by the same fellow who wrote "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street". "Nero Wolfe of 35th Street" by Baring-Gould is not as compelling as the Holmes bio, but then, the author died right after finishing what is evidently a first draft.

There's not nearly as much material to work with, either. At least, not as I recall. ACD stuffed biographical and semi-biographical stuff into all the works; I've only read a handful of Wolfe novels but there doesn't seem to be nearly as much about Wolfe in them.

Effinger did an amusing turn on Wolfe when he had his protagonist snap in a synthesized personality module for Nero Wolfe. ("He felt himself engulfed in flesh; Wolfe weighed a seventh of a ton...")

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 pm
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
RobertJames wrote:
Nero Wolfe has had a biography written about him, by the same fellow who wrote "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street". "Nero Wolfe of 35th Street" by Baring-Gould is not as compelling as the Holmes bio, but then, the author died right after finishing what is evidently a first draft.

There's not nearly as much material to work with, either. At least, not as I recall. ACD stuffed biographical and semi-biographical stuff into all the works; I've only read a handful of Wolfe novels but there doesn't seem to be nearly as much about Wolfe in them.

Effinger did an amusing turn on Wolfe when he had his protagonist snap in a synthesized personality module for Nero Wolfe. ("He felt himself engulfed in flesh; Wolfe weighed a seventh of a ton...")

I found the B-G biography very unsatisfactory, which was why I tried organizing the material myself. The problem is similar to the Heinlein problem of the dating of the Future History, in that Stout must have tried at one point to keep the chronology "current" so there is an overlap of about a decade in, for example, when Archie started to work for Wolfe (1927 is the firmest date I could come up with, though he talks in some of the 1950's novels as if it were in the late 1930's).

Of course, there's a Many Worlds stfnal novel in there about two not-quite-parallel timelines coming together -- perhaps one of the Nero Wolfes is wiped out and the other comes to roost in the brownstone on 34th Street. Kind of a Wolfian fore-story to Elsewhen . . .

But that way lies madness.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:25 am
PITA Bred

BillPatterson wrote:
But that way lies madness.

Never stopped Holmesians.

:D

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:05 am
Heinlein Nexus

Peter, I don't know if the Asimov-Ellison stuff was ever reprinted in its entirety. I think it was carried out in the pages of Asimov's SF, but I'm not sure. I think Asimov's side was reprinted in Asimov on SF.

Jim, you're a hoot.

Bill, if you wish, I am willing to play Archie Goodwin to your Nero Wolfe.

Oh wait,, already been doing that for years....

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2