View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Foundation Trilogy 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: The Foundation Trilogy
RobertJames wrote:
Mr. Scott, can you provide a quote for the Faulkner comment, because I don't recognize that sentiment.

Oh, I was going after the classic statement that the only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself, and including any other such pompous twaddle he came up with that i wasn't familiar with.
Quote:
And how odd to discover you're a necrophiliac...

Stick around, your education is only beginning.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Lol...yes, Maestro...

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:54 am
Heinlein Nexus

Who would have believed it - Robin Williams' favorite book (not even qualified as s-f) is the Foundation Trilogy. And his favorite character is The Mule.

Did not see that coming.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:50 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

meaning the mule was from the planet ork ? ;)

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 pm
Heinlein Nexus

I guess when he did Bicentennial Man, it may actually have been his own idea.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

I've also read that Paul Krugman grew up wanting to be Hari Seldon. As I previously posted on the Forum, the abilities of the "social sciences" to predict and control human behavior, at both the individual and population level, have proven far weaker than Asimov (and Heinlein) anticipated.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 am

PeterScott wrote:
(Exercising the "classic" part of this forum's charter...)

I just finished a periodic rereading of the trilogy. (I don't care for Asimov's later additions... at all... and for the additions by other authors even less...)

While I'm not crazy about the prequels and fill-ins by Asimov and others, I must recommend the Prometheus-winning "Psychohistorical Crisis" by Donald Kingsbury. A couple thousand years after the reign of Cloun the Stubborn, problems develop in the second "empire" caused by competition between groups of psychohistory adepts.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. -- Denis Diderot

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am

Speaking of the Foundation trilogy, there exists a newish hardbound edition dating from 2011. Here's the blurb from amazon.com:

Quote:
New. See scans and description. New York: Bantam Spectra, 2011. The decorative edition by Bantam Spectra of Isaac Asimov's claasic science fiction opus, The Foundation Trilogy. ISBN 9780307292063. Stout, gorgeous octavo, deep purple bonded leather boards with light-blue tech designs, Michael Whelan pastedown cover illustration plate, All Edges Gilt, silk page-marker ribbon, endpapers are color illustration from a NASA photograph, 747 pp. + 1 pp. About the Author. New, pristine and flawless. See all scans. Removed from publisher's shrink-wrap for description and scanning only. Beautiful eye-candy on the shelf or the cocktail table - if you haven't read this trilogy, get the paperback for actual reading. Ships in a new, sturdy, protective box, of course - not a bag.

It's $27, with shipping free to Prime members.

Long ago, my Foundation trilogy paperbacks turned to mush in a basement flood (the cause of which I've since fixed). It had been close to 50 years, and I wanted to reread the trilogy. So I ordered this edition.

Folks, this is one magnificent production! Largish, about 11-point type, so I didn't need my cheaters. Many fewer typographical errors than the old paperbacks. And there's no reason to order a paperback for reading: this is a really stout book. The binding is not as stout as those of the Virginia Edition, but it's close. This old bibliophile took great delight rereading the trilogy in this format.

For those to whom it might matter, I found this on the copyright page: "Printed in China."

Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2