View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Nein, nein, nein! 
PITA Bred

Post Nein, nein, nein!
It's an interesting year for film. Usually studios go out of their way to avoid having film titles step on each other - sometimes famously and expensively. The original production of Red Dragon was renamed Manhunter because another film with Dragon in the title had just flopped. Similarly, Joseph Heller's Catch-18 was renamed to avoid stepping on the rival novel Mila 18.

So I find it weird that we have three films coming out within weeks of each other:

• District 9
  • Nine

I guess the industry's field observation posts are unmanned in these tight times. :)

District 9 was fantastic, an unexpected jewel (two in one year, with Moon!) 9 has me sufficiently intrigued that we're making a midweek family movie night of it on opening night (9/9/09, of course). Nine... I know nothing about.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 am
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Nein, nein, nein!
From IMDB:
Quote:
Nine is the musical re-telling of Federico Fellini's semi-autobiographical "8 and a half". It tells the story of Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis), a world famous famous film director as he confronts an epic mid-life crisis with both creative and personal problems. He must balance the many women of his life, including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penelope Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his confidant and costume designer (Judi Dench), an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson), the whore from his youth (Fergie) and his mother (Sophia Loren).

The original 1982 Broadway production of NINE, with music and lyrics by Maury Yeston, won five Tony Awards including Best Musical.

I saw that musical on Broadway and loved it. I think it was Anita Morris who did one of the most erotic song-and-dance numbers I've ever seen live. My guess is that Penelope Cruz is playing Morris' role in the movie, and though I don't expect it to be a musical, I can't wait to see it.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
So I find it weird that we have three films coming out within weeks of each other:

• District 9
  • Nine

Make that four. We also have Cloud 9, due in theaters August 14.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

DanHenderson wrote:
Make that four. We also have Cloud 9, due in theaters August 14.

*boggle*.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Heinlein Nexus

And then there's the Beatles remastered collection due out on 9/9/9, including, of course, "Revolution #9", with the background lyrics: "Number nine, number nine, number nine."

It's an Illuminati conspiracy. Fnord!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]