View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Star Trek 
PITA Bred

Post R2-D2 appearance
Ha! and Ha! I say!

You probably know about the R2-D2 embed in the film - if you spotted it and sent email to Paramount, correct guesses would go into a drawing for an on-screen prop.

When I saw the film the second time, I was doing what I usually do in such re-watches, watching everything BUT the main action. I saw four candidates and on thinking about it for a minute, decided the real one was... no spoiler here, Paramount has announced it... a spinning bit of debris just as they enter the fleet destruction scene. It's dark but the outline is unmistakable and it's there for perhaps two seconds, long enough to be a fair chance. (Many of the other guesses I saw, and there was about one per frame, as nearly as I can tell, were for fleeting or indistinct images, and I felt that Abrams wouldn't be that unfair about it.) So I discarded two very brief possibles and weighed what seemed to be Artoo in the San Francisco city skyline (during the attack sequence)... and went with the debris.

I wuz rite.

Now all I have to do is win the drawing of the correct answers and get my very own... bit of plastic junk. To go with my other (B5) bits of plastic junk.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Star Trek
I love how we can just resurrect threads that are 4 years old... take that, Facebook.

So I just saw STID, and I enjoyed it rather more than the first one; might be lowered expectations but I do think they did a few things better. Let me see if I can unpack why. Karl Urban and Chris Pine appear to be trying to get as close as they humanly can to Deforrest Kelley and Shatner. At times both of their voices were spot on reproductions, and their mannerisms appeared to be studied impressions as well. But that's incidental.

If what Star Trek meant to you was a buddy/gang frolic, then I think this scratches that itch. If you were taken by the interplay between the characters, then sure. Where STID falls down is where its predecessor did: (1) Sense of wonder; (2) depiction of command authority. This is a bit repetitious, but it's been 3+ years, so here goes.

(1) The essence of the original series, to me, was encapsulated in the credit voiceover. It was about exploring a universe that was full of amazing wonders, and it was done by a humanity that had surmounted its failings, come together, and was deserving of survival. Those failings were then principally: The Cold War and Mutually Assured Destruction; and bigotry. We've made huge strides in the latter category, and the former has been replaced by an arrogant imperialism where America decides it can violate its own principles like torture when it's extremely convenient.

Well, this movie did nothing to depict a future that was mind-stretchingly different from today's culture. It transplanted those same failings. Kirk doesn't just go along with the idea of taking out Khan, he originates it. And a senior officer is the one who wants to start a war so he can be in charge. Decent flick, but is it Star Trek?

And this was yet another movie set around Earth. The original series episodes that went there were - with the exception of The City on the Edge of Forever - the weakest. We didn't go all the way out past the frontier to slink back home.

(2) They did mature Kirk slightly. I can but hope that they're on a path to do more of that in the future. But still, this was a character that no one in their right mind should want in charge of anything grander than a Boy Scout troop. The original Kirk was a man fully in command of his crew and himself, and projected the calm assurance that marks a real leader. Pine is still a brat. Now, granted, he just got out of the academy, so maybe we can cut him some slack in that department since the original Kirk was at least ten years past that point. But by the same token, we know that the original Kirk wasn't given command immediately, and this one shouldn't have been either. I should have twigged that there was something rotten about Marcus when he didn't kick Kirk out of his office for requesting command back.

The action moves so fast that there isn't much time to register the numerous plot holes. But it's enjoyable enough to not matter, particularly through spotting the many nods to the original series and movies and how creatively they incorporated and (ahem) warped them.

So, overall an enjoyable flick - gorgeous visuals - but I don't think it's Star Trek. And ultimately that may be what deprives these reboots of staying power. If I want mindblowing CGI, nonstop action, and ever-escalating shootouts, I know where to find 'em - everywhere. This movie does nothing to differentiate itself from every other blockbuster these days and therefore consigns itself to being judged on the same playing field. Roddenberry created a series that broke several of those molds and elevated itself beyond the mediocrity of sameness.

Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Yes. I saw it elsewhere that by canon, Kirk was the youngest captain in Starfleet history... after 14 years.

It all seems to boil down to some kind of hyper-compression of time for the modern audience. The Enterprise getting to another world in a few days isn't exhilarating enough; Vulcan is now ten warp minutes away. The "transwarp beaming" is already what Roddenberry worked so hard to keep transporting from becoming in the original, a magic get-outta-jail gambit.

Frankly, if they can transport anywhere in the near galaxy, what's the point of starships? I predict transwarp beaming will either get 'broken' before installment 3, or become the downfall of the series.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 am
NitroForum Oldster

I saw STID on Sunday. The makers go to great lengths to recapture the original Roddenberry vibe, and Chris Pine does his very best to channel his inner Shatner. It was so derivative as to be slightly (very slightly) insulting to us old ST hands; however, I found it very, very enjoyable.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile WWW

It is probably perilously close to blasphemy, but I have long since been burnt-out on the ST/ST-TNG/ST-V movies, and don't even watch the old ones when they show up on TV. I haven't seen any of the "new cast" entries in the world of ST. I can't explain it, but none of those piqued my interest enough to get off my duff, and part with the $10 [?] and 2-3 hours required to see it.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm
NitroForum Oldster

jeepojiii wrote:
It is probably perilously close to blasphemy, but I have long since been burnt-out on the ST/ST-TNG/ST-V movies, and don't even watch the old ones when they show up on TV. I haven't seen any of the "new cast" entries in the world of ST. I can't explain it, but none of those piqued my interest enough to get off my duff, and part with the $10 [?] and 2-3 hours required to see it.

I get where you're coming from. Trust me, though - go see it. You'll enjoy it (even though you'll undoubtedly roll your eyes in places). It' s well worth the $10-$12, IMHO. Especially if you - like me - watched the original series as a kid, you'll like this.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Seconded. The newest movie flattens out a bit, IMHO, but the first one manages to evoke a fresh and fun take on everything that made old ST so great in its day. Manages to preserve all that's good and bring in new slants on things that were getting weak.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 am
Heinlein Nexus

This memo from Gene Roddenberry on the third season of the original series perfectly reflects my own opinions about how the characters should be mature, capable, adults... unlike the spoiled hyperactive brats they turned them into.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:30 pm
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
This memo from Gene Roddenberry on the third season of the original series perfectly reflects my own opinions about how the characters should be mature, capable, adults... unlike the spoiled hyperactive brats they turned them into.

I gave up on ST after the first one that followed ST-Voyager. I have also never seen an ST movie after the original ones and the ST-TNG ones. That first post ST-V series left me cold after I found the second episode worse that the first. Your "spoiled hyperactive brats" comment tells me that I needn't regret my abandonment of ST.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 pm
Heinlein Nexus

In a distinct minority, I actually liked Enterprise (the series), at least until they got into an ongoing arc with something called The Expanse or whatever it was. I thought it was the best series since TNG. One episode, Twilight, was better than many TNG episodes. My comment above was of course referring to the reboot movies... which should be given the reboot.

Doesn't help that the scriptwriter took to calling fans and dissenters vulgar epithets, either.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next