View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Star Trek 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Star Trek
Bill Patterson wrote:
Technically, Kirk was not even a stowaway; he's supercargo assigned to the medical department; he should have been brigged at the very most.

I think that word does not mean what you want it to mean:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supercargo

Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Actually, I think Bill is missing his intended target (some sort of extra-cargo personage) but hitting another correct one.

Besides its primary meaning as "master of the cargo," it can mean any generally empowered officer not a regular member of the crew. That's precisely where James T. ends up - as designated XO and chief PITA, having not even supposed to have been aboard in the first place.

Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
Technically, Kirk was not even a stowaway; he's supercargo assigned to the medical department; he should have been brigged at the very most.

I stand corrected -- but I have read a fair amount of naval officer chit-chat one way or another preparing for the biography, and that is NOT how they use the term (or at least not consistently -- I may simply never have noticed alternative uses). Cf this quotation from my interview with Adm. Gallantin gathering background for the USNA: "The summer cruises used to take a whole group to European ports. They normally went to Northern Europe. That is, there were two practice cruises. The first went to northern Europe, and the second went to the Caribbean. The middies were supercargo . . . "

Tue May 12, 2009 6:50 am
PITA Bred

Military ships no longer tend to have cargo - stores not quite being cargo - so the correct form of the term may well be obsolete in modern usage. I've seen it used to refer to a bunch of freeloaders (deadheaders, trainees, temporary reassignments) onboard more than once.

Tue May 12, 2009 7:15 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Military ships no longer tend to have cargo - stores not quite being cargo - so the correct form of the term may well be obsolete in modern usage. I've seen it used to refer to a bunch of freeloaders (deadheaders, trainees, temporary reassignments) onboard more than once.

Actually, I suppose he was not on the TO until Pike made him First Officer, which necessarily carries a rating with it, so he was technically part of the ship's complement -- though I can't recall whether Spok had any reason to know Kirk was on the TO (though he certainly raised no objections)

And I don't recall anyone remarking how very good a job Quinto did with some difficult material. At various times during the run of the trailer, I remarked to numerous people that "Syler is a Vulcan -- that explains so very many things."

Tue May 12, 2009 2:19 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:

They did have cargo when Heinlein was in service -- one of the anecdotes he tells in the long letter to Buell is of the Lex providing commercial transport for a load of cars to Seattle, which were kept on the deck where the planes usually were stored while not in use. That was probably in 1931.

Kirk wasn't quite a deadhead; nor was he cargo or stores. McCoy's rationale made sense, even if I don't know of a specific regulation that covers the case. I wonder how he would have been logged -- Equpment, misc, medical?

Tue May 12, 2009 2:24 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Bill Patterson wrote:
Kirk wasn't quite a deadhead; nor was he cargo or stores. McCoy's rationale made sense, even if I don't know of a specific regulation that covers the case. I wonder how he would have been logged -- Equpment, misc, medical?

Uh, passenger?

Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:

Uh, passenger?

Could be -- some naval organizations don't have such a category; some do. The ones that don't usually have a classification like "supernumerary" to cover miscellaneous cases.

Misstatement in earlier: "First Officer" does not carry a rating, it is a rating. He would have become part of ship's complement at that point.

Wed May 13, 2009 6:24 am

I thought this was quite good. Someone earlier pointed out that Star Trek is basically a TV comic book, and I can't dispute that. But people who found meaning in the earlier incarnations should like this one. I posted a review at my blog:

http://maxgriffin.blogspot.com/2009/05/beam-me-up-jj-review-of-new-start-trek.html

Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:

On an internet search, I found a site that listed half a dozen definitions for "supercargo," one of which referred to personnel not assigned to the ship's TO and not strictly speaking passenger. Unfortunately I forgot to note the URL, but I suppose the search could be repeated.

Wed May 20, 2009 6:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next