View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Prophets of Science Fiction 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Prophets of Science Fiction
I've seen several (all?) episodes of this to-date. There's a clear set of repeating elements, as Mr. Gifford points out earlier in this thread. One of those elements is the sound-bite interview with the subject's biographer.

:idea: Is it too much to hope that Bill Patterson is interviewed in the Heinlein episode? Or that someone from Team Heinlein(tm) here was at least involved in some way in the production?

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:20 pm

I think there is two chances that there will have someone who really knows much about Heinlein. Slim and none.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 am

ChuckA wrote:
I think there is two chances that there will have someone who really knows much about Heinlein. Slim and none.

I met Slim once, and he really does know a lot about RAH.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm
Heinlein Nexus

There's a nod to RAH here: http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/15 ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Does anyone know if this series can be downloaded? My PVR has had trouble recording it in Canada.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

You didn't miss much. It was about what I expected, a slicked up and dumbed down show that ignored everything except robots. Nothing about the Foundation trilogy or his years working for the Navy in WWII. I was surprised that Cambell was even mintioned and there was nothing about Heinlein getting him a job in the navy.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 am

Same impression. It was all to Ridley Scott's agenda, which had nothing to do with the reality of IA and/or his work. Concentrated entirely on his "robot" stories, and featured innumerable extracts from the Will Smith I, Robot travesty along with a detour through the Robin Williams Bicentennial Man travesty. They devoted all of two minutes to IA's immense body of non-fiction in his "the Great Explainer" role.

I fully expect the RAH chapter to be equally flawed. Remember, Verhoaxer is also involved in this project, so expect a lot of shots from ST-The Travesty.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Maybe I should be glad I can't get it. Sounds like I'd likely be disappointed. Thanks.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm
Profile WWW

Same here. After reading the first half of Patterson's bio of Heinlein, I doubt that anything the mainstream news or entertainment industries could produce would interest me, and suspect the same is true of Heinlein fans in general.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Hope: noun
1. a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/2012/02/ ... e-fiction/

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 am

Zero hour is 10:00 pm tonight [ET-US, repeat at 1:00 am] on Science cable channel for the RAH episode of "Prophets".

I feel like that guy at the start of the first Dirty Harry movie; even though I'm expecting a train wreck, "I gots to know" how many rounds Dirty Scott and Dirty Verhoaxer have left in those pistols. Sigh. Prolly catch the second airing, another show that I really want to watch airs at 10:00 tonight on another cable channel.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next