View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Heinlein audio books 

Post Re: Heinlein audio books
Another new Heinlein audio book release is Sixth Column from Blackstone Audio. It is read by Tom Weiner. I haven't listened to this yet so I can't comment on the quality, but I've listened to other Heinlein books read by Weiner and he is good. I know Sixth Column is not considered one of Heinlein's better works but I always liked it. Of course, I haven't read it in several decades so my memory of it may be colored by time. I'll post more comment after I've heard it.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile WWW

I have finished listening to the Blackstone audio book of Sixth Column. I have to admit it has not aged as well as most of Heinlein's work. There is more racism in the story than I remembered. The language used in the book is not as bad as what we soldiers used back during the Viet Nam war, but that did get pretty bad. The story is also about soldiers fighting an Asian enemy so the names and descriptions used by them are not unrealistic, but they are uncomfortable for modern sensibilities. Also, the "science" in the story involves a lot more hand waving than is normally found in a Heinlein story. I understand that's because the story was not wholely Heinlein's and it's clear that he did the best he could with what was given him. I kind of enjoyed all the "rays" in the sense that they made the story feel like something from the very early days of science fiction.

These are criticisms of the book, however, and not the audiobook. The audiobook is very well done. The reader is highly professional and talented and made as good a job as any single reader could from this book. If you want an audio version of Sixth Column, this production will do just fine.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 am
Profile WWW

Blackhawk wrote:
Okay, I found what may be the ultimate list of Heinlein in audio format, here:

http://www.sffaudio.com/?page_id=3106

It lists the audio books I mentioned and the radio shows mentioned by others, and both audio books and radio programs that we had missed. It seems to be a very complete list and it provides a good deal of information about each item. Worth a look if you are interested in listening to Heinlein as well as reading him.

Well, it seems this is not the ultimate site I originally thought. It does have a good list of audio books, but it appears that it is not being updated. I just checked the listings for Heinlein and H. Beam Piper and both are missing audiobooks that have been released within the last six months or so. The Heinlein list is missing Tunnel in the Sky and Between Planets (from Full Cast Audio) and Sixth Column (from Blackstone Audio), all three of which I've discussed in previous postings.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Heinlein audio books (time enough for love 2 versions)
I enjoy reading books but do spend a lot of time in the car.
I've recently been listening to Heinlein audiobooks.

I note that audible.com is selling two different narrations of Time Enough For Love.
One was released in 2007 narrated by Lloyd James
One will be released Feb 14, 2014 and is narrated by Tom Weiner

The Lloyd James version is listed as 25 hours 52 minutes
The Tom Weiner version is listed as 23 hours 30 minutes

Both are listed as unabridged.
I would expect that a person's speaking rhythm/speed might affect narration time - but nearly 2.5 hours worth?
I guess, maybe over the course of a 20+ hour reading it might be possible.

Any thoughts on what the difference might be?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:23 am

Post Re: Heinlein audio books (time enough for love 2 versions)
JohnBlack wrote:
I enjoy reading books but do spend a lot of time in the car.
I've recently been listening to Heinlein audiobooks.

I note that audible.com is selling two different narrations of Time Enough For Love.
One was released in 2007 narrated by Lloyd James
One will be released Feb 14, 2014 and is narrated by Tom Weiner

The Lloyd James version is listed as 25 hours 52 minutes
The Tom Weiner version is listed as 23 hours 30 minutes

Both are listed as unabridged.
I would expect that a person's speaking rhythm/speed might affect narration time - but nearly 2.5 hours worth?
I guess, maybe over the course of a 20+ hour reading it might be possible.

Any thoughts on what the difference might be?

That's an interesting point. I haven't listened to either version (not one of Heinlein's books I enjoy) but between the two readers I prefer Lloyd James. He is a more measured reader than Weiner so it might make that much difference in time but I don't know if that's the case.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3