View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Has anyone seen "I, Robot"? 

Post Has anyone seen "I, Robot"?
I enjoyed the Robot books, so when the film came out, I was determined not to see it.
But I'm older now, and I have learned to value the opinions of others.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:38 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Has anyone seen "I, Robot"?
The book bears approximately the same relationship to the movie as Jonathan Livingston Seagull does to Angry Birds Rio.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

The movie was already greenlighted and (IIRC) in preproduction using an existing script when some bright boy got the idea to pick up the rights to the Asimov material and use it as a final coat of paint.

I suspect it came about in legal, when someone was noticing the inevitable influences and overlaps any such story would have with primal works - buy up some cheap rights, quit trying to come up with a clever name for robot brainery besides "positronic," rename the irrelevant female scientist Susan Calvin and there ya go.

One of the best novels ca. 1970 was filmed reasonably well, then they decided it didn't have enough screen sizzle, so they went back and filmed a nonsensical subplot starring Richard Pryor and released the resulting mess as a Pryor comedy instead of a dry black humor piece akin to MASH. It happens.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 am

JamesGifford wrote:
The movie was already greenlighted and (IIRC) in preproduction using an existing script when some bright boy got the idea to pick up the rights to the Asimov material and use it as a final coat of paint.

I suspect it came about in legal, when someone was noticing the inevitable influences and overlaps any such story would have with primal works - buy up some cheap rights, quit trying to come up with a clever name for robot brainery besides "positronic," rename the irrelevant female scientist Susan Calvin and there ya go.

One of the best novels ca. 1970 was filmed reasonably well, then they decided it didn't have enough screen sizzle, so they went back and filmed a nonsensical subplot starring Richard Pryor and released the resulting mess as a Pryor comedy instead of a dry black humor piece akin to MASH. It happens.

And that movie was what?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm
PITA Bred

holmesiv wrote:
And that movie was what?

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. "Best Defense," based on the excellent, somewhat obscure novel Easy and Hard Ways Out by Robert Grossbach.

The novel is a look at a really twisted Dilbert-like culture fifteen years before "high tech" existed. MASH set among the aerospace industry of the 1960s. Warped my brain with it quite young, reread it at least once a year. Oh, the black, black humor...

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 pm

JamesGifford wrote:
holmesiv wrote:
And that movie was what?

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. "Best Defense," based on the excellent, somewhat obscure novel Easy and Hard Ways Out by Robert Grossbach.

The novel is a look at a really twisted Dilbert-like culture fifteen years before "high tech" existed. MASH set among the aerospace industry of the 1960s. Warped my brain with it quite young, reread it at least once a year. Oh, the black, black humor...

Sounds good. Wish Amazon's shipping charges weren't so high -- I'd get a copy.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 am

JamesGifford wrote:
so they went back and filmed a nonsensical subplot starring Richard Pryor and released the resulting mess as a Pryor comedy

I think Eddie Murphy is who you mean.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 am

I thought Will Smith was in it.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:16 pm
PITA Bred

BillMullins wrote:
I think Eddie Murphy is who you mean.

Right you are. It was whatever annoying comic was the sure-fire hitmaker that year... Fail.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 pm

I enjoyed I, Robot as a decent sci-fi flick but, as others have commented, it has only a loose relationship to Asimov's work. Still, probably a better transfer of the book to screen than was Starship Troopers. It did include and examine (if superficially) themes that were common to Asimov's robot stories.

A joke at the time of the movie's release was that it would have been better titled iRobot.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next