View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
THJ 21: Jefferson denied "Rational Anarchist" 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: THJ 21: Jefferson denied "Rational Anarchist"
DavidWrightSr wrote:
I have responded to this because I think that it needed clarifying, not because it in any way differentiates a CL from an RA.

That difference I maintain is emphasized from the CL point of view in the Declaration of Independence.

DOI wrote:
--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

This in essence is to me the viewpoint of the CL, whereas an RA is foremost an ‘anarchist’, i.e., he would prefer NO government, does not give his consent to be governed and if there must be a government, he would prefer it to be one that places the minimum of restrictions on the liberty of the individual, not one that is there to protect the so-called ‘rights’ of people.

I do believe you've identified the nub of it.

And that raises other questions. The remark, I believe Prof made it, that Jefferson almost put his "non-system" overbears thinking of in this light.

I believe there are more nuances to be teased out.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Post Re: THJ 21: Jefferson denied "Rational Anarchist"
Quote:
The quote from Jefferson? "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

This is invariably how one see this quotation, which I would consider to be deliberatly out of context. The entire passage it comes from needs to be quoted. This is a more extended version, though still not the full discussion.

Quote:
... had given to the clergy a very favorite hope of obtaining an establishment of a particular form of Christianity thro' the U. S.; and as every sect believes its own form the true one, every one perhaps hoped for his own, but especially the Episcopalians & Congregationalists. The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes, & they believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
But this is all they have to fear from me: & enough too in their opinion, & this is the cause of their printing lying pamphlets against me ...

Jefferson also redacted the Gospels into what is usually known as "Jefferson's Bible", containing only what he concluded were the true and unadulterated teachings of Jesus, before "Paulianity", and other forms, desecrated them. He actually titled the work "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, extracted texturally from the Gosples, in Greek, Latin, French, and English."

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3