View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Link - Brin on Heinlein on guns is dead wrong 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Link - Brin on Heinlein on guns is dead wrong
Quote:
"What other ending could there be? That he lets JJB die and his potential go unrealized, and slip back to being a third-rate ham actor?

My problem is not with the disposition of Larry Smith (Smythe?) - his somewhat pathetic identity disappears to serve the greater good. Cool. I was happy with that. My problem is with the writing of the ending. It seemed uselessly truncated, as many of Heinlein's endings did. I would have appreciated at least a paragraph or two of exposition of Smith's latter, long career in Bonforte's stead. The novel covered only the first few months.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Link - Brin on Heinlein on guns is dead wrong
I'm not exactly sure how this ended up being about Double Star, but I have no complaint. As for its ending, it's a postscript to a memoir written 25 years earlier for therapeutic benefit, as is made clear; he doesn't need to write more than perfunctorily about his political career since he became Bonforte; this isn't for any audience but himself.

In any case I'm glad Double Star was included in the new Library of America two-volume set of nine SF novels of the 1950s.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2